The Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instructing
The aim of this Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instructing qualification is to train learners to a professionally competent level, enabling them to prescribe, plan and deliver safe and effective exercise programmes within a gym or health club environment as a Level 2 Fitness Instructor.
Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instruction Entry Requirements
- Some experience of gym-based exercises, including free weights, is highly recommended.
- The course requires physical exertion and individual participation is essential; therefore, a degree of physical fitness is necessary.
- There is also an element of communication (discussing, presenting, reading and writing) involved and learner should have basic skills in communication pitched at level 2.
The Active IQ Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instructing (QCF) will equip learners to prepare for employment in a specific occupational area. The qualification allows learners to train to a professionally competent level, enabling them to prescribe, plan and deliver safe and effective exercise programmes within a gym or health club environment.
The qualification will provide entry onto the Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs) at Level 2 and can be achieved in the context of Gym, Exercise to music, Water-based Exercise and Physical Activity for Children.
To achieve the qualification learners must complete 4 mandatory units from the mandatory group (14 credits) and one optional pairing in the context of either Gym, Exercise to Music, Water-based Exercise or Exercise and Physical Activity for Children. The total credit value of the qualification is 23 credits.
This qualification comprises of 6 mandatory units (24 credits).
Coursework, Multiple Choice Examination, Portfolio of Evidence
- This qualification provides progression to Level 2 NVQ Certificate in Instructing Exercise and Fitness, for learners who wish to develop and demonstrate occupational competence in gym instruction.
- Alternatively, it provides progression to Level 3 qualifications in Personal Training for learners who wish to further their knowledge and skills and become personal trainers.
- Learners may also progress on to the Level 3 Diploma in Sports Massage Therapy, where they will be provided with the knowledge and skills to practice sports massage alongside gym instructing in the health club environment.
- Learners may also broaden their knowledge and skills by progressing to Level 2 qualifications in Instructing Circuits, Exercise to Music and Aqua.
Mandatory Course Units:
- Principles of exercise, fitness and health (Level 2, 4 credits)
- Anatomy and physiology for exercise (Level 2, 6 credits)
- Know how to support clients who take part in exercise and physical activity (Level 2, 2 credits)
- Health, safety and welfare in a fitness environment (Level 2, 2 credits)
Optional Pairing – Gym
- Instructing gym-based exercise (Level 2, 6 credits)
- Planning gym-based exercise (Level 2, 4 credits)
Optional Pairing – Exercise to Music
- Planning group exercise to music sessions (Level 2, 4 credits)
- Instructing group exercise to music (Level 2, 6 credits)
Optional Pairing – Water-Based Exercise
- Planning water-based exercise (Level 2, 5 credits)
- Instructing water-based exercise (Level 2, 6 credits)